- About WES
- Individual Membership
- Corporate Partnerships
- Events and Conferences
- E-newsletter, Blogs and Journal
- Projects and Campaigns
- Role models
- Awards, bursaries and grants
- Education and outreach
- MentorSET and Training
- Careers in Engineering
- Resources, Stats & Reports
- Leave a Legacy
- Media and Press
- Contact us
Placement - Engineering
Back to listBack to list
Placement - Engineering
Location: Daventry, Northamptonshire
Salary: Starting at £18,200
Term: 12 month placement
Job advertised until: 30 April 2017
Explore this unique opportunity to join a global power leader – Cummins are now seeking applications for 12mth engineering student placement roles in its Daventry Technical Center located in Northamptonshire.
Cummins, a global power leader, designs, manufactures, distributes and services multi fuel engines and related technologies for various markets including truck, bus, rail, marine, prime and standby power generation and mining. With headquarters in Columbus, Indiana in the US, the company has operations in 197 countries and sales of over $19 billion in 2015.
Cummins’ hire to develop strategy offers students and graduates an environment where structured development opportunities across its diverse range of engineering functions, allied with its broad international reach, allows it to provide long term, exciting and flexible career pathways.
The Daventry technical centre has developed both new and current products within the Cummins high horse power range for over 40 years. This includes both natural gas and diesel products ranging from 38 to 91litres cubic capacity used in for key key markets including rail, defence, marine, construction, mining and power generation applications around the world.
With a strong ethos of continuous improvement the Daventry technical centre has a broad range of engineering teams and has demonstrated a sustained ability to developing students through to graduate programmes and beyond.
Typical engineering roles include:
- Mechanical Validation Engineering
- Design Engineering
- High Horsepower Service Engineers
- Technical Territory Engineers
- Appling basic knowledge of engineering principles and practices to assigned tasks in the development, analysis and release of products and subsystems through the product life cycle.
- Assisting in the creation of design specifications considering application, cost, weight, performance, product life, manufacture, assembly and service.
- Verifying designs using analysis and or functional testing, interpreting results, driving decisions and assessing risk.
- Working with other engineering and technical disciplines and cross-functional groups to resolve issues.
- Evaluating customer needs and aligning requirements with identified customer expectations.
- Using prescribed and innovative methods and working with limited guidance.
- Participating as a team member and actively contributing towards team goals.
- Carrying out partially defined and moderately complex tasks.
- Demonstrating good understanding and application of knowledge of an engineering/technical discipline.
- Applying engineering and scientific skills to continuously develop experience in creating technological solutions.
Starting with a comprehensive induction programme, throughout the placement you will be provided with training in sector specific technologies as well as general training such as presentation and communication skills, structured problem solving and Cummins practices and procedures.
In exchange for your time and efforts Cummins will provide:
- Broad experience of engineering disciplines to aid technical knowledge development and support career progression
- Opportunities to interact cross functionally as part of a global engineering team
- Participate in an interactive approach to individual development planning to expand technical expertise and leadership potential
- Leverage the opportunity to pursue chartered status with relevant industry professional bodies.
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated individual, who is innovative, driven to succeed with a passion to challenge the status quo.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Education, Licenses, Certifications
Studying towards a minimum of a Bachelor of Science or equivalent degree in an Engineering or related discipline (including Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry).
Minimal relevant work experience desired such as internship, co-op, or other pertinent work experience.
- Laboratory Operations – understanding of Laboratory Operations process flow model: planning, preparation, execution, analysis and execution.
- Engineering Standards - basic knowledge in Engineering Standards.
- Technical Documentation - basic knowledge in Technical Documentation.
- Structured Problem Solving Process - able to understand and apply structured problem solving processes such as Cause and Effect matrices, Fail Mode and Effect Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis etc. to resolve issues.
- Structured Design Processes – understand and be able to describe the purpose, content and steps in the development/ management of an engineering or technological design project
Additional language capabilities are not essential but could be of benefit for placements/future opportunities including with in central Europe.
If interested please apply via our website (careers.cummins.com) searching for Job Ref. 170000ZZ via the UK & Europe early careers section or directly via the following link: http://cummins-uk.jobs/daventry-gbr/placement-engineering-multiple-positions/72C0D546F5024205AEC32985A53B94FA/job/