- About WES
- Individual Membership
- Corporate Partnerships
- Events and Conferences
- E-newsletter, Blogs and Journal
- Projects and Campaigns
- Role models
- Awards, bursaries and grants
- Education and outreach
- MentorSET and Training
- Careers in Engineering
- Resources, Stats & Reports
- Leave a Legacy
- Media and Press
- Contact us
Gillian Skinner Award
Gillian Skinner Award
WES can make up to two awards annually in memory of former Member Gillian Skinner.
Gillian Skinner passionately supported the cause that WES represents and made a valuable contribution over several decades. She was a member of Council for a few years, acting as Membership Officer, and promoted engineering careers to students. Gill enjoyed conference, attending ICWES events in France and India as well as being a regular at WES conferences, even well into her retirement.
When Gill sadly passed away in 2003, her family approached WES about making a donation in her memory and from that, the Gillian Skinner Awards were instigated. In line with Gill’s nature – quiet, but very capable – the awards are made to celebrate the smaller ‘behind the scenes’ contributions to WES which can often go unnoticed, but are nevertheless very valuable.
The recipients could be women or men - individuals who help nationally or in their local circle. Anybody who makes a contribution to WES is eligible, they could be working, retired, on a career break, students, Cluster Contacts, Members of Council… Their help could be brief (e.g. at conference) or steadily over a long time.
- 2016 winners were Jon Cable and Fiona Neads. Jon Cable was honoured for the work he has done helping WES digitalising The Woman Engineer and in recognition of his assistance over the years helping WES retrieve information from its extensive archives. Fiona Neads is thanked for the work she did setting up the WES Fellowship membership grade and chairing the selection committee.
- 2015 winner of the Gillian Skinner award is Sophie Parsons in recognition of the work she has done running the feature 'She's an engineer' on the WES website.
- 2014 winners of the Gillian Skinner award are Anne Madsen and Angela Shackcloth
- 2013 Helen Charles Morgan in recognition of the careers advice and support she gives to women on behalf of WES as well as her help in setting up the jobs section of the WES website, a valuable resource and income steam for WES
- 2012 Dawn Bonfield won the award for her voluntary work in running the WES office whilst it was without paid staff
- 2011 Joanne Lamour from Arup for giving up some of her Saturdays to host the council meeting in the Arup building in London
- 2010 Fareen Mahmood, in recognition of her significant contribution in helping to manage the WES website redesign
Do you know someone who fits the bill? Please let us know who they are and the reason why you wish to nominate them. Email your nomination and reason to the WES office: email@example.com or call 01438 765506.